I was in my laundry room, admiring my new laundry room artand had this really happy feeling. And then I looked over at my trashcan, and the good feeling was gone. If you can even call that piece of plastic that holds a grocery bag a trash can. It’s almost shameful to have something like that in there. I’m embarrassed to even show it to you.
Sure, I could just be normal and go buy a new trashcan, but nooooo, I have to come up with ridiculously time-consuming projects that involve hot glue and burnt fingers! Which is how I came up with this idea to completely cover an old cheap plastic garbage can I already had with clothespins. I have no idea where I come up with this stuff, it just popped in my head and I decided to go with it.
This is one of those projects that is not difficult as far as needing any sort of artistic or DIY skill to do it, but is very taxing on your patience!
I started with the top row of clothes pins, and they went on without any problems at all. I simply hot glued them all in place. Amazingly they almost fit perfectly. Also equally amazing, I purchased a package of 50 straight clothes pins and used…50. Usually these things go more like this: I have 50 clothes pins and I need 51. Somehow I got lucky on this one.
That was pretty much where my luck ran out. The other clothes pins were more of a challenge. Because of the metal spring part, it’s hard to get them to lay flat, and getting them all to fit was a challenge. I started my 1st row by lining each one up with the ends of the straight clothes pins above. It sounded like a good idea, which is all I had to go on as I was totally just winging it as I went along.
The next row I inserted in between the first row. I kind of liked the design it formed.
I basically continued with the same process, only for the third row I sort of staggered the clothespins. I had to do this because my trashcan has a taper to it, so I couldn’t fit them on the same way that I did on the top. This project would have been much simpler without the taper!
The final row was lined up inside the gaps and my winging it seemed to work out like I planned it!
At the very back of it, I had to take apart some clothes pins and just put a half of one on to make it fit. Since I can just put this one against the wall no one will ever know. Well except all of you! I guess my secret is out.
And then there was the whole issue of the clothes pins falling off! At one point towards the end, I would glue one on, and three others would fall off. And I’d have to peel the dried hot glue off the pins that fell off and glue them back on. Once I finally got them all on, I started patting it down in search of loose clothespins and about twenty of them fell off. Eventually I got everything on tightly. The secret is lots and lots of hot glue.
Next it went outside for a good coat of my new favorite spray paint, the Valspar brand paint from Lowe’s. No I don’t get money to endorse them, (although I wouldn’t say no if asked!), it’s just really good spray paint. I love it because you can re-coat at any time. None of that re-coat within an hour or wait a week stuff. And it’s a few bucks cheaper than Rustoleum. However they don’t make it in oil-rubbed bronze, so for that I still use Rustoleum.
Anyhow, I hit it with a few coats of gloss white and called it a day. I think it’s a really fun trashcan. I know some of you are thinking it’s a lot of work for something very few people see, but it makes me happy. And the old ugly one did not!
Total cost for this project was $8 in clothes pins. And the loss of my sanity.
Thanks for visiting. As always, I love to hear what you think!